I originally liked this recipe when reading it because it seemed very quick and easy, I had most ingredients at home already, and was a healthy recipe. My husband and I are trying to "eat healthier" at home, and I liked how this recipe didn't really require any additional carbs/pasta/rice and could just be the shrimp and beans and be a good lower calorie dinner.
I read some reviews before cooking (which I almost always do on this site...so many people have great ideas/inputs on recipes!!), and made the following edits:
- changed 1/4c of minced garlic to 1/3c
- did not start with oil; used a splash of low-sodium, fat free chicken broth instead
- added thinly sliced onion to garlic+paprika mix
- used 1tsp Hungarian paprika +1.5tsp regular paprika
- changed 1/4c of red wine vinegar to a mix of red wine vinegar, chicken broth, sherry wine...poured a splash of each into a 1/3c measuring cup until cup was full. This still seemed to be more vinegar-y than I would have liked; next time will probably just use sherry wine+chicken broth.
The sauce on the shrimp was AWESOME. And I was okay with the shrimp and the cannellini beans and the shrimp and the green beans, but I didn't like BOTH beans together. Note: I used canned cannellini beans (really really well rinsed) and steamed the green beans.
I would make this recipe again for the sauce with the shrimp (my husband REALLY liked the flavor of the sauce), but would probably put the sauced shrimp on top of brown rice/couscous, serve the green beans steamed on the side, and omit the cannellini beans.