Paprika Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts for Two
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy chicken recipe, paprika-rubbed chicken thighs are nestled into Brussels sprouts and shallots and roasted on a sheet pan in the oven for an easy, healthy dinner. As the chicken thighs roast, the garlicky drippings flavor the Brussels sprouts and shallots. Delicious one-pan cooking! Smoked paprika adds a touch of smoky flavor—look for it at well-stocked supermarkets or in the bulk-spice section at natural-foods markets. Regular paprika can be used in its place, but doesn’t add the hint of smoke.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (or quartered if large)
- 4 small shallots, quartered
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika, sweet or hot
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large or 4 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), skin removed
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, shallots and lemon with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt with the side of a chef’s knife until it becomes a paste. Combine the garlic paste with paprika, thyme and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the paste all over chicken. Nestle the chicken into the Brussels sprouts.
- Roast on the lower rack until the Brussels sprouts are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone registers 165°F, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 541 calories; 29 g fat (6 g sat, 16 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 46 g protein; 9 g fiber; 780 mg sodium; 1426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (280% daily value), Vitamin A (64% dv), Folate (42% dv), Potassium (41% dv), Iron (32% dv), Zinc (26% dv), Magnesium (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 4 1/2 vegetable, 5 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2014