Paprika Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy chicken recipe, paprika-rubbed chicken thighs are nestled into Brussels sprouts and shallots and roasted on a sheet pan in the oven for an easy, healthy dinner. As the chicken thighs roast, the garlicky drippings flavor the Brussels sprouts and shallots. Delicious one-pan cooking! Smoked paprika adds a touch of smoky flavor—look for it at well-stocked supermarkets or in the bulk-spice section at natural-foods markets. Regular paprika can be used in its place, but doesn’t add the hint of smoke.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (or quartered if large)
- 4 small shallots, quartered
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, sweet or hot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, shallots and lemon with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt with the side of a chef’s knife to form a paste. Combine the garlic paste with paprika, thyme and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the paste all over chicken. Nestle the chicken into the Brussels sprouts.
- Roast on the lower rack until the Brussels sprouts are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone registers 165°F, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 449 calories; 25 g fat (5 g sat, 14 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 5 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 962 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 5 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014