Paprika Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy chicken recipe, paprika-rubbed chicken thighs are nestled into Brussels sprouts and shallots and roasted on a sheet pan in the oven for an easy, healthy dinner. As the chicken thighs roast, the garlicky drippings flavor the Brussels sprouts and shallots. Delicious one-pan cooking! Smoked paprika adds a touch of smoky flavor—look for it at well-stocked supermarkets or in the bulk-spice section at natural-foods markets. Regular paprika can be used in its place, but doesn’t add the hint of smoke.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (or quartered if large)
- 4 small shallots, quartered
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, sweet or hot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, shallots and lemon with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt with the side of a chef’s knife to form a paste. Combine the garlic paste with paprika, thyme and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the paste all over chicken. Nestle the chicken into the Brussels sprouts.
- Roast on the lower rack until the Brussels sprouts are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone registers 165°F, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 449 calories; 25 g fat (5 g sat, 14 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 5 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 962 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 5 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2014