Paprika Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy chicken recipe, paprika-rubbed chicken thighs are nestled into Brussels sprouts and shallots and roasted on a sheet pan in the oven for an easy, healthy dinner. As the chicken thighs roast, the garlicky drippings flavor the Brussels sprouts and shallots. Delicious one-pan cooking! Smoked paprika adds a touch of smoky flavor—look for it at well-stocked supermarkets or in the bulk-spice section at natural-foods markets. Regular paprika can be used in its place, but doesn’t add the hint of smoke.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (or quartered if large)
- 4 small shallots, quartered
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, sweet or hot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, shallots and lemon with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt with the side of a chef’s knife to form a paste. Combine the garlic paste with paprika, thyme and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the paste all over chicken. Nestle the chicken into the Brussels sprouts.
- Roast on the lower rack until the Brussels sprouts are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone registers 165°F, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 449 calories; 25 g fat (5 g sat, 14 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 5 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 962 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 5 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2014