Paprika Chicken Thighs with Brussels Sprouts
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this healthy chicken recipe, paprika-rubbed chicken thighs are nestled into Brussels sprouts and shallots and roasted on a sheet pan in the oven for an easy, healthy dinner. As the chicken thighs roast, the garlicky drippings flavor the Brussels sprouts and shallots. Delicious one-pan cooking! Smoked paprika adds a touch of smoky flavor—look for it at well-stocked supermarkets or in the bulk-spice section at natural-foods markets. Regular paprika can be used in its place, but doesn’t add the hint of smoke.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (or quartered if large)
- 4 small shallots, quartered
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, sweet or hot
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Combine Brussels sprouts, shallots and lemon with 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt with the side of a chef’s knife to form a paste. Combine the garlic paste with paprika, thyme and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Rub the paste all over chicken. Nestle the chicken into the Brussels sprouts.
- Roast on the lower rack until the Brussels sprouts are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone registers 165°F, 20 to 25 minutes.
Per serving: 449 calories; 25 g fat (5 g sat, 14 g mono); 219 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 5 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 962 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (141% daily value), Vitamin A (41% dv), Potassium (27% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Folate (22% dv), Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 5 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- September/October 2014