The relish is at its best served shortly after it is prepared.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as sambal olek or
- 1 firm papaya, peeled, seeded and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- With the side of a chef’s knife, mash garlic with salt. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in vinegar, sugar and hot sauce. Add papaya, onion and cilantro; toss gently to mix.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Sambal olek, a mix of chiles, brown sugar and salt, can be found in the Asian section of some large supermarkets and at Asian markets.
Per serving: 43 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 314 mg sodium; 190 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique