Papaya & Chile Chocolate Bark
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
With just a few simple steps, you can transform plain chocolate into a divine treat with this chocolate bark recipe. We stir dried papaya, pepitas and chile powder into this chocolate bark, which is perfect for a gift.
- 2 cups chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (or chips)
- 1/3 cup pepitas (see Tip), toasted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried papaya
- 1 teaspoon ancho or New Mexico chile powder, divided
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. (Take care to avoid wrinkles.)
- Place chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. (Alternatively, place in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.)
- Combine pepitas and papaya in a small bowl. Stir half of the mixture along with 1/2 teaspoon chile powder into the melted chocolate. Scrape the chocolate onto the foil and spread it into a 9-inch square. Sprinkle with the remaining pepitas, papaya and chile powder, pressing any large bits in. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the bark and foil to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate airtight for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: Hulled pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are green seeds with a delicate nutty flavor. They are sold raw, salted and/or roasted, and can be found in the natural-foods section of many supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
Per piece: 48 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, chocolate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013