Papaya & Chile Chocolate Bark
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
With just a few simple steps, you can transform plain chocolate into a divine treat with this chocolate bark recipe. We stir dried papaya, pepitas and chile powder into this chocolate bark, which is perfect for a gift.
- 2 cups chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (or chips)
- 1/3 cup pepitas (see Tip), toasted
- 1/3 cup finely chopped dried papaya
- 1 teaspoon ancho or New Mexico chile powder, divided
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. (Take care to avoid wrinkles.)
- Place chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted. (Alternatively, place in the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir until melted.)
- Combine pepitas and papaya in a small bowl. Stir half of the mixture along with 1/2 teaspoon chile powder into the melted chocolate. Scrape the chocolate onto the foil and spread it into a 9-inch square. Sprinkle with the remaining pepitas, papaya and chile powder, pressing any large bits in. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the bark and foil to a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate airtight for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: Hulled pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are green seeds with a delicate nutty flavor. They are sold raw, salted and/or roasted, and can be found in the natural-foods section of many supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
Per piece: 48 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 6 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, chocolate
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013