From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy panzanella recipe, a classic Italian bread salad recipe, juicy tomatoes full of bright acidity are delicious when combined with the sweetness of basil and toasted leftover bread. Bring out your best olive oil and vinegar and serve this bread salad with grilled meat or fish.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely slivered fresh basil
- 4 cups torn bit-size pieces stale crusty white bread (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut larger tomatoes into wedges or chunks; cut any cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Combine in a large bowl with onion, parsley and basil. Add bread.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour it over the salad and gently toss to coat the bread well. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced or cubed bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes. One 1-pound loaf (12 to 14 slices) yields 8 to 10 cups 1-inch pieces.
192 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 248 mg sodium; 418 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013