From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy panzanella recipe, a classic Italian bread salad recipe, juicy tomatoes full of bright acidity are delicious when combined with the sweetness of basil and leftover bread. Bring out your best olive oil and vinegar and serve this bread salad with grilled meat or fish.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely slivered fresh basil
- 4 cups torn bite-size pieces stale crusty white bread (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut larger tomatoes into wedges or chunks; cut any cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Combine in a large bowl with onion, parsley and basil. Add bread.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour it over the salad and gently toss to coat the bread well. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced or cubed bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes. One 1-pound loaf (12 to 14 slices) yields 8 to 10 cups 1-inch pieces.
192 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 248 mg sodium; 418 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013