From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy panzanella recipe, a classic Italian bread salad recipe, juicy tomatoes full of bright acidity are delicious when combined with the sweetness of basil and leftover bread. Bring out your best olive oil and vinegar and serve this bread salad with grilled meat or fish.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely slivered fresh basil
- 4 cups torn bite-size pieces stale crusty white bread (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut larger tomatoes into wedges or chunks; cut any cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Combine in a large bowl with onion, parsley and basil. Add bread.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour it over the salad and gently toss to coat the bread well. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced or cubed bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes. One 1-pound loaf (12 to 14 slices) yields 8 to 10 cups 1-inch pieces.
192 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 248 mg sodium; 418 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013