From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy panzanella recipe, a classic Italian bread salad recipe, juicy tomatoes full of bright acidity are delicious when combined with the sweetness of basil and toasted leftover bread. Bring out your best olive oil and vinegar and serve this bread salad with grilled meat or fish.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely slivered fresh basil
- 4 cups torn bit-size pieces stale crusty white bread (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut larger tomatoes into wedges or chunks; cut any cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Combine in a large bowl with onion, parsley and basil. Add bread.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour it over the salad and gently toss to coat the bread well. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced or cubed bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes. One 1-pound loaf (12 to 14 slices) yields 8 to 10 cups 1-inch pieces.
192 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 248 mg sodium; 418 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013