From EatingWell: September/October 2013
In this healthy panzanella recipe, a classic Italian bread salad recipe, juicy tomatoes full of bright acidity are delicious when combined with the sweetness of basil and leftover bread. Bring out your best olive oil and vinegar and serve this bread salad with grilled meat or fish.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely slivered fresh basil
- 4 cups torn bite-size pieces stale crusty white bread (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut larger tomatoes into wedges or chunks; cut any cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Combine in a large bowl with onion, parsley and basil. Add bread.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour it over the salad and gently toss to coat the bread well. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- To stale bread naturally, store at room temperature in a paper (not plastic) bag for 2 to 5 days. If you don’t want to wait, bake sliced or cubed bread on a large baking sheet at 250°F until crisped and dry, 15 to 20 minutes. One 1-pound loaf (12 to 14 slices) yields 8 to 10 cups 1-inch pieces.
192 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 248 mg sodium; 418 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (41% daily value), Vitamin A (31% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2013