Panna Cotta with Red Wine-Strawberry Compote
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Buttermilk gives this silky panna cotta, or “cooked cream,” a bright, fresh taste. A tart-sweet strawberry sauce is a nice contrast.
- Panna Cotta
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- To make panna cotta: Sprinkle gelatin over water in a saucepan; let stand for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup sugar and cream and heat over low heat until steaming, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and slowly stir in buttermilk.
- Pour custard into six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds. Cover and refrigerate panna cottas until firm, about 2 hours.
- To make compote & serve: Heat wine and 1/4 cup sugar in a small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Lower heat and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Place strawberries in a medium bowl and pour in wine mixture. Let compote cool to room temperature.
- Dip ramekins or molds into hot water for a few seconds, then invert panna cottas onto individual dessert plates. Shake to loosen, then lift off ramekins or molds. Spoon compote around panna cottas. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1997