Panna Cotta with Red Wine-Strawberry Compote
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Buttermilk gives this silky panna cotta, or “cooked cream,” a bright, fresh taste. A tart-sweet strawberry sauce is a nice contrast.
- Panna Cotta
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- To make panna cotta: Sprinkle gelatin over water in a saucepan; let stand for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup sugar and cream and heat over low heat until steaming, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and slowly stir in buttermilk.
- Pour custard into six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds. Cover and refrigerate panna cottas until firm, about 2 hours.
- To make compote & serve: Heat wine and 1/4 cup sugar in a small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Lower heat and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Place strawberries in a medium bowl and pour in wine mixture. Let compote cool to room temperature.
- Dip ramekins or molds into hot water for a few seconds, then invert panna cottas onto individual dessert plates. Shake to loosen, then lift off ramekins or molds. Spoon compote around panna cottas. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1997