Panna Cotta with Red Wine-Strawberry Compote
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Buttermilk gives this silky panna cotta, or “cooked cream,” a bright, fresh taste. A tart-sweet strawberry sauce is a nice contrast.
- Panna Cotta
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- To make panna cotta: Sprinkle gelatin over water in a saucepan; let stand for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup sugar and cream and heat over low heat until steaming, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and slowly stir in buttermilk.
- Pour custard into six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds. Cover and refrigerate panna cottas until firm, about 2 hours.
- To make compote & serve: Heat wine and 1/4 cup sugar in a small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Lower heat and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Place strawberries in a medium bowl and pour in wine mixture. Let compote cool to room temperature.
- Dip ramekins or molds into hot water for a few seconds, then invert panna cottas onto individual dessert plates. Shake to loosen, then lift off ramekins or molds. Spoon compote around panna cottas. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1997