Panna Cotta with Red Wine-Strawberry Compote
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Buttermilk gives this silky panna cotta, or “cooked cream,” a bright, fresh taste. A tart-sweet strawberry sauce is a nice contrast.
- Panna Cotta
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- To make panna cotta: Sprinkle gelatin over water in a saucepan; let stand for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup sugar and cream and heat over low heat until steaming, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and slowly stir in buttermilk.
- Pour custard into six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds. Cover and refrigerate panna cottas until firm, about 2 hours.
- To make compote & serve: Heat wine and 1/4 cup sugar in a small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Lower heat and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Place strawberries in a medium bowl and pour in wine mixture. Let compote cool to room temperature.
- Dip ramekins or molds into hot water for a few seconds, then invert panna cottas onto individual dessert plates. Shake to loosen, then lift off ramekins or molds. Spoon compote around panna cottas. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1997