Panna Cotta with Red Wine-Strawberry Compote
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Buttermilk gives this silky panna cotta, or “cooked cream,” a bright, fresh taste. A tart-sweet strawberry sauce is a nice contrast.
- Panna Cotta
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- To make panna cotta: Sprinkle gelatin over water in a saucepan; let stand for 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup sugar and cream and heat over low heat until steaming, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and slowly stir in buttermilk.
- Pour custard into six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds. Cover and refrigerate panna cottas until firm, about 2 hours.
- To make compote & serve: Heat wine and 1/4 cup sugar in a small nonreactive saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Lower heat and simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Place strawberries in a medium bowl and pour in wine mixture. Let compote cool to room temperature.
- Dip ramekins or molds into hot water for a few seconds, then invert panna cottas onto individual dessert plates. Shake to loosen, then lift off ramekins or molds. Spoon compote around panna cottas. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins or molds
Per serving: 226 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 281 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1997