Pan-Seared Shrimp with Peas
Prepeeled shrimp can be worth their weight in gold for the amount of time they'll save on a harried weeknight. Make it a meal: Spoon the shrimp over fresh lo mein noodles or rice.
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine 7 scallions, garlic and ginger in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Slice remaining scallion and set aside.
- Toss shrimp with 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder in a bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until firm and pink, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add reserved chopped scallion mixture and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add peas and broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved sliced scallion and serve.
Per serving: 162 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 895 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique