Pan-Seared Shrimp with Peas
Prepeeled shrimp can be worth their weight in gold for the amount of time they'll save on a harried weeknight. Make it a meal: Spoon the shrimp over fresh lo mein noodles or rice.
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine 7 scallions, garlic and ginger in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Slice remaining scallion and set aside.
- Toss shrimp with 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder in a bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until firm and pink, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add reserved chopped scallion mixture and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add peas and broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved sliced scallion and serve.
Per serving: 162 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 895 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique