Pan-Seared Shrimp with Peas
Prepeeled shrimp can be worth their weight in gold for the amount of time they'll save on a harried weeknight. Make it a meal: Spoon the shrimp over fresh lo mein noodles or rice.
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine 7 scallions, garlic and ginger in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Slice remaining scallion and set aside.
- Toss shrimp with 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder in a bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until firm and pink, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add reserved chopped scallion mixture and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add peas and broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved sliced scallion and serve.
Per serving: 162 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 895 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique