Pan-Seared Shrimp with Peas
Prepeeled shrimp can be worth their weight in gold for the amount of time they'll save on a harried weeknight. Make it a meal: Spoon the shrimp over fresh lo mein noodles or rice.
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine 7 scallions, garlic and ginger in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Slice remaining scallion and set aside.
- Toss shrimp with 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder in a bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until firm and pink, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add reserved chopped scallion mixture and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add peas and broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved sliced scallion and serve.
Per serving: 162 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 895 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique