Pan-Seared Shrimp with Peas
Prepeeled shrimp can be worth their weight in gold for the amount of time they'll save on a harried weeknight. Make it a meal: Spoon the shrimp over fresh lo mein noodles or rice.
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine 7 scallions, garlic and ginger in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Set aside. Slice remaining scallion and set aside.
- Toss shrimp with 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder in a bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until firm and pink, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate.
- Reduce heat to low and add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add reserved chopped scallion mixture and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add peas and broth, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with reserved sliced scallion and serve.
Per serving: 162 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 143 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 895 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique