Pan-Seared Salmon with Fennel & Dill Salsa
Crunchy fennel gives great texture to this tomato-based salsa, which is itself a zippy, slightly sour complement to sweet, seared salmon. Make this dish a meal by serving it with some whole-wheat couscous and a glass of rose.
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel (about 1/2 bulb, stalks trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced dill
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine tomato, fennel, onion, dill, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut salmon into 4 equal portions, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Cook the salmon, skinned-side up, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the salmon over and remove the pan from the heat. Allow the salmon to finish cooking off the heat until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more. Serve immediately with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To skin a salmon fillet: Place it on a clean cutting board, skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30 degree angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either. Or have your fishmonger do it for you.
Per serving: 289 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 373 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), omega-3s.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood