Pan-Seared Salmon with Fennel & Dill Salsa
Crunchy fennel gives great texture to this tomato-based salsa, which is itself a zippy, slightly sour complement to sweet, seared salmon. Make this dish a meal by serving it with some whole-wheat couscous and a glass of rose.
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel, (about 1/2 bulb, stalks trimmed)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced dill
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skinned (see Tip)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine tomato, fennel, onion, dill, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut salmon into 4 equal portions, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Cook the salmon, skinned-side up, until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the salmon over and remove the pan from the heat. Allow the salmon to finish cooking off the heat until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more. Serve immediately with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To skin a salmon fillet: Place it on a clean cutting board, skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30 degree angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either. Or have your fishmonger do it for you.
Per serving: 289 calories; 20 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 1 g fiber; 373 mg sodium; 610 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), omega-3s.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood