Marinating stronger flavored fish like trout in buttermilk eliminates some of the fishy flavors. A quick turn in cornmeal makes a crunchy, crusty exterior.
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 small fresh whole trout, (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Mix buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or bowl large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Add fish and turn to coat evenly, rubbing buttermilk into cavities. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or on a large plate. Set aside.
- Remove fish from refrigerator. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Shake excess buttermilk off trout, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place fish gently in heated pan. (If pan is smaller, cook fish in two batches.) Turn heat to low and cook fish until cornmeal crust is well browned, about 10 minutes. Turn carefully, using tongs or 2 spatulas if needed; continue cooking on second side until well browned, another 10 minutes. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- A cornmeal crust is the only way to have fresh trout. With our method, you can enjoy it without any guilt.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 2 g fiber; 381 mg sodium; 437 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient