Marinating stronger flavored fish like trout in buttermilk eliminates some of the fishy flavors. A quick turn in cornmeal makes a crunchy, crusty exterior.
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 small fresh whole trout, (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Mix buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or bowl large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Add fish and turn to coat evenly, rubbing buttermilk into cavities. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or on a large plate. Set aside.
- Remove fish from refrigerator. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Shake excess buttermilk off trout, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place fish gently in heated pan. (If pan is smaller, cook fish in two batches.) Turn heat to low and cook fish until cornmeal crust is well browned, about 10 minutes. Turn carefully, using tongs or 2 spatulas if needed; continue cooking on second side until well browned, another 10 minutes. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- A cornmeal crust is the only way to have fresh trout. With our method, you can enjoy it without any guilt.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 2 g fiber; 381 mg sodium; 437 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less