Marinating stronger flavored fish like trout in buttermilk eliminates some of the fishy flavors. A quick turn in cornmeal makes a crunchy, crusty exterior.
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 small fresh whole trout, (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Mix buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or bowl large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Add fish and turn to coat evenly, rubbing buttermilk into cavities. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or on a large plate. Set aside.
- Remove fish from refrigerator. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Shake excess buttermilk off trout, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place fish gently in heated pan. (If pan is smaller, cook fish in two batches.) Turn heat to low and cook fish until cornmeal crust is well browned, about 10 minutes. Turn carefully, using tongs or 2 spatulas if needed; continue cooking on second side until well browned, another 10 minutes. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- A cornmeal crust is the only way to have fresh trout. With our method, you can enjoy it without any guilt.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 2 g fiber; 381 mg sodium; 437 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less