Marinating stronger flavored fish like trout in buttermilk eliminates some of the fishy flavors. A quick turn in cornmeal makes a crunchy, crusty exterior.
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 small fresh whole trout, (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Mix buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or bowl large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Add fish and turn to coat evenly, rubbing buttermilk into cavities. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or on a large plate. Set aside.
- Remove fish from refrigerator. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Shake excess buttermilk off trout, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place fish gently in heated pan. (If pan is smaller, cook fish in two batches.) Turn heat to low and cook fish until cornmeal crust is well browned, about 10 minutes. Turn carefully, using tongs or 2 spatulas if needed; continue cooking on second side until well browned, another 10 minutes. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- A cornmeal crust is the only way to have fresh trout. With our method, you can enjoy it without any guilt.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 2 g fiber; 381 mg sodium; 437 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient