Marinating stronger flavored fish like trout in buttermilk eliminates some of the fishy flavors. A quick turn in cornmeal makes a crunchy, crusty exterior.
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 4 small fresh whole trout, (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Mix buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or bowl large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Add fish and turn to coat evenly, rubbing buttermilk into cavities. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a shallow pan or on a large plate. Set aside.
- Remove fish from refrigerator. Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Shake excess buttermilk off trout, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place fish gently in heated pan. (If pan is smaller, cook fish in two batches.) Turn heat to low and cook fish until cornmeal crust is well browned, about 10 minutes. Turn carefully, using tongs or 2 spatulas if needed; continue cooking on second side until well browned, another 10 minutes. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- A cornmeal crust is the only way to have fresh trout. With our method, you can enjoy it without any guilt.
Per serving: 214 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 2 g fiber; 381 mg sodium; 437 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (63% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient