In the Provencal dialect, "pan bagna" means "moist bread." In this lightened version of the classic Mediterranean sandwich, a filling of hard-boiled eggs is seasoned with pungent black olives, mustard and a subtle hint of anchovy. For a truly great sandwich, use the best-quality bread you can find.
- 3 large eggs
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Walla Walla or Maui, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 22-inch-long baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 imported black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup mesclun, or lamb's lettuce (mâche) (see Ingredient note)
- Hard-boil eggs (see Tip). Peel when cool enough to handle. Set aside one of the yolks for the dressing. Coarsely chop the remaining eggs.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until very tender and light golden, 10 to 20 minutes. (Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water if onions are browning too quickly.)
- Cut baguette into 4 equal lengths. Split each piece in half horizontally. Pull out the soft bread from the center of each piece, leaving 1/2-inch-thick shells. Place soft bread in a food processor or blender and process to form fine crumbs. Measure out 1/2 cup of crumbs (reserve the rest for another use).
- Mash garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt with the side of a chef's knife. Transfer to a medium bowl. (Alternatively, mash garlic and salt in a mortar with a pestle.) Add reserved egg yolk and mash with a fork. Whisk in mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, anchovy paste and remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Fold in parsley, olives, reserved chopped eggs and breadcrumbs. Season with pepper.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the caramelized onions over the bread-shell bottoms. Mound the egg mixture over the onions. Top with mesclun (or lamb's lettuce) and replace bread tops.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator or in a cooler with a cold pack for up to 8 hours.
- Ingredient note: You can make your own mesclun by combining your choice of tender greens, both bitter and mild.
- Tip: To make hard-cooked eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Pour off hot water and run cold water over the eggs until completely cooled. To peel, crack the shell, then roll egg between your palms to loosen shell. Peel, starting at the large end. Rinse under cold water or dip in water to remove bits of shell.
Per sandwich: 165 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 163 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 443 mg sodium; 184 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 11 mg vitamin c (20% dv), 15% dv vitamin a.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique