An ovenproof skillet is the key to this easy recipe. Breaded stuffed chicken breasts are browned on one side on the top of the stove, carefully flipped and transferred--still in the pan--to the oven to finish cooking. This guarantees a nice brown crust and moist, tender chicken.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese, (2 ounces)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a chicken breast, skinned-side down, on a cutting board. Keeping the blade of a sharp knife parallel to the board, make a horizontal slit along the thinner, long edge of the breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open the breast so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Place a slice of cheese on one flap, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge. Press remaining flap down firmly over the cheese and set aside. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Lightly beat egg whites with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Holding a stuffed breast together firmly, dip it in the egg whites and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed breasts and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the breasts over and place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake the chicken until no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 255 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 1 g fiber; 518 mg sodium; 268 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 very lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry