An ovenproof skillet is the key to this easy recipe. Breaded stuffed chicken breasts are browned on one side on the top of the stove, carefully flipped and transferred--still in the pan--to the oven to finish cooking. This guarantees a nice brown crust and moist, tender chicken.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese, (2 ounces)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a chicken breast, skinned-side down, on a cutting board. Keeping the blade of a sharp knife parallel to the board, make a horizontal slit along the thinner, long edge of the breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open the breast so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Place a slice of cheese on one flap, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge. Press remaining flap down firmly over the cheese and set aside. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Lightly beat egg whites with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Holding a stuffed breast together firmly, dip it in the egg whites and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed breasts and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the breasts over and place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake the chicken until no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 255 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 1 g fiber; 518 mg sodium; 268 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 very lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique