An ovenproof skillet is the key to this easy recipe. Breaded stuffed chicken breasts are browned on one side on the top of the stove, carefully flipped and transferred--still in the pan--to the oven to finish cooking. This guarantees a nice brown crust and moist, tender chicken.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese, (2 ounces)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a chicken breast, skinned-side down, on a cutting board. Keeping the blade of a sharp knife parallel to the board, make a horizontal slit along the thinner, long edge of the breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open the breast so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Place a slice of cheese on one flap, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge. Press remaining flap down firmly over the cheese and set aside. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Lightly beat egg whites with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Holding a stuffed breast together firmly, dip it in the egg whites and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed breasts and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the breasts over and place the skillet in the oven.
- Bake the chicken until no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 255 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 1 g fiber; 518 mg sodium; 268 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 very lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique