Salsa Palermitana (Palermo-Style Sauce)
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This wine-based sauce of cherry tomatoes, olives and capers gets a tangy punch from plenty of lemon. Serve over pasta or grilled or roasted fish. Have some warm, crusty bread on hand to soak up any extra sauce.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Sicilian, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 cups white wine
- 3 lemons, quartered
- 3/4 cup Nocellara olives or other big green olives, such as Cerignola, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano, plus 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup oil and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, lemons, olives, capers and oregano sprigs; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat (reducing the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, not a boil) until the sauce has reduced to about 6 cups, about 25 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup oil, chopped oregano and chopped parsley. Remove lemon quarters and oregano sprigs. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
163 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2009