Salsa Palermitana (Palermo-Style Sauce)
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This wine-based sauce of cherry tomatoes, olives and capers gets a tangy punch from plenty of lemon. Serve over pasta or grilled or roasted fish. Have some warm, crusty bread on hand to soak up any extra sauce.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Sicilian, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 cups white wine
- 3 lemons, quartered
- 3/4 cup Nocellara olives or other big green olives, such as Cerignola, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano, plus 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup oil and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, lemons, olives, capers and oregano sprigs; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat (reducing the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, not a boil) until the sauce has reduced to about 6 cups, about 25 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup oil, chopped oregano and chopped parsley. Remove lemon quarters and oregano sprigs. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
163 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2009