Salsa Palermitana (Palermo-Style Sauce)
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This wine-based sauce of cherry tomatoes, olives and capers gets a tangy punch from plenty of lemon. Serve over pasta or grilled or roasted fish. Have some warm, crusty bread on hand to soak up any extra sauce.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Sicilian, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 cups white wine
- 3 lemons, quartered
- 3/4 cup Nocellara olives or other big green olives, such as Cerignola, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano, plus 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup oil and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, lemons, olives, capers and oregano sprigs; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat (reducing the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, not a boil) until the sauce has reduced to about 6 cups, about 25 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup oil, chopped oregano and chopped parsley. Remove lemon quarters and oregano sprigs. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
163 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2009