Salsa Palermitana (Palermo-Style Sauce)
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This wine-based sauce of cherry tomatoes, olives and capers gets a tangy punch from plenty of lemon. Serve over pasta or grilled or roasted fish. Have some warm, crusty bread on hand to soak up any extra sauce.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Sicilian, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 cups white wine
- 3 lemons, quartered
- 3/4 cup Nocellara olives or other big green olives, such as Cerignola, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano, plus 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup oil and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, lemons, olives, capers and oregano sprigs; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat (reducing the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, not a boil) until the sauce has reduced to about 6 cups, about 25 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup oil, chopped oregano and chopped parsley. Remove lemon quarters and oregano sprigs. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
163 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2009