Salsa Palermitana (Palermo-Style Sauce)
From EatingWell: November/December 2009
This wine-based sauce of cherry tomatoes, olives and capers gets a tangy punch from plenty of lemon. Serve over pasta or grilled or roasted fish. Have some warm, crusty bread on hand to soak up any extra sauce.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Sicilian, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 cups white wine
- 3 lemons, quartered
- 3/4 cup Nocellara olives or other big green olives, such as Cerignola, pitted
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano, plus 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped oregano leaves
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat 1/4 cup oil and garlic in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, lemons, olives, capers and oregano sprigs; bring to a simmer. Cook over medium heat (reducing the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer, not a boil) until the sauce has reduced to about 6 cups, about 25 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup oil, chopped oregano and chopped parsley. Remove lemon quarters and oregano sprigs. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
163 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 263 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Nutrition Note: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- November/December 2009