This healthy pad thai recipe has less than half the calories and sodium of the traditional Thai-restaurant favorite. Look for dried wide rice noodles, sometimes called “Pad Thai noodles” or “straight-cut,” in the Asian-food section at most supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Serve with sliced cucumbers with a rice vinegar and cilantro vinaigrette.
- 6 ounces dried wide rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces small shrimp (see Tip), peeled and deveined
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Chopped dry-roasted peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until just al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat until very hot. Add garlic and stir-fry until golden, about 10 seconds. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; stir-fry until the shrimp curl and turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, bean sprouts, scallion greens, vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar and crushed red pepper; toss until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts and serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 354 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 12 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 1392 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Folate (24% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique