This healthy pad thai recipe has less than half the calories and sodium of the traditional Thai-restaurant favorite. Look for dried wide rice noodles, sometimes called “Pad Thai noodles” or “straight-cut,” in the Asian-food section at most supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Serve with sliced cucumbers with a rice vinegar and cilantro vinaigrette.
- 6 ounces dried wide rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces small shrimp (see Tip), peeled and deveined
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Chopped dry-roasted peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until just al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat until very hot. Add garlic and stir-fry until golden, about 10 seconds. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; stir-fry until the shrimp curl and turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, bean sprouts, scallion greens, vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar and crushed red pepper; toss until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts and serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 360 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 164 mg cholesterol; 54 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 3 g fiber; 729 mg sodium; 315 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Folate (24% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique