This healthy pad thai recipe has less than half the calories and sodium of the traditional Thai-restaurant favorite. Look for dried wide rice noodles, sometimes called “Pad Thai noodles” or “straight-cut,” in the Asian-food section at most supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Serve with sliced cucumbers with a rice vinegar and cilantro vinaigrette.
- 6 ounces dried wide rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces small shrimp (see Tip), peeled and deveined
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Chopped dry-roasted peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until just al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat until very hot. Add garlic and stir-fry until golden, about 10 seconds. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; stir-fry until the shrimp curl and turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, bean sprouts, scallion greens, vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar and crushed red pepper; toss until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts and serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 354 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 12 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 1392 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Folate (24% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique