This healthy pad thai recipe has less than half the calories and sodium of the traditional Thai-restaurant favorite. Look for dried wide rice noodles, sometimes called “Pad Thai noodles” or “straight-cut,” in the Asian-food section at most supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Serve with sliced cucumbers with a rice vinegar and cilantro vinaigrette.
- 6 ounces dried wide rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces small shrimp (see Tip), peeled and deveined
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced scallion greens
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Chopped dry-roasted peanuts (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until just al dente, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat until very hot. Add garlic and stir-fry until golden, about 10 seconds. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil; stir-fry until the shrimp curl and turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add the noodles, bean sprouts, scallion greens, vinegar, fish sauce, brown sugar and crushed red pepper; toss until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts and serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: For sustainable shrimp, look for shrimp that’s certified by an agency like the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can’t find it, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America—it’s more likely to be sustainably caught.
Per serving: 354 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 157 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 12 g total sugars; 19 g protein; 3 g fiber; 1392 mg sodium; 321 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Folate (24% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique