From EatingWell: July/August 1994
If fried chicken is traditional in your picnic basket, try this method, which trims about 8 grams of fat from each 5-ounce serving.
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin and fat removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Set a rack over a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together egg white, buttermilk and hot pepper sauce in a medium bowl. Put flour, baking powder, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a large paper bag. Shake the bag to mix well.
- Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into the buttermilk mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture by shaking the bag. Place the chicken on the prepared rack. Brush oil lightly over the chicken. Bake until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 35 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 280 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 389 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56%% daily value).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- July/August 1994