From EatingWell: July/August 1994
If fried chicken is traditional in your picnic basket, try this method, which trims about 8 grams of fat from each 5-ounce serving.
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin and fat removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Set a rack over a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together egg white, buttermilk and hot pepper sauce in a medium bowl. Put flour, baking powder, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a large paper bag. Shake the bag to mix well.
- Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into the buttermilk mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture by shaking the bag. Place the chicken on the prepared rack. Brush oil lightly over the chicken. Bake until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 35 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 280 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 389 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56%% daily value).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- July/August 1994