From EatingWell: July/August 1994
If fried chicken is traditional in your picnic basket, try this method, which trims about 8 grams of fat from each 5-ounce serving.
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin and fat removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Set a rack over a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together egg white, buttermilk and hot pepper sauce in a medium bowl. Put flour, baking powder, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a large paper bag. Shake the bag to mix well.
- Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into the buttermilk mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture by shaking the bag. Place the chicken on the prepared rack. Brush oil lightly over the chicken. Bake until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 35 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 280 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 389 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56%% daily value).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- July/August 1994