From EatingWell: July/August 1994
If fried chicken is traditional in your picnic basket, try this method, which trims about 8 grams of fat from each 5-ounce serving.
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, skin and fat removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Set a rack over a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk together egg white, buttermilk and hot pepper sauce in a medium bowl. Put flour, baking powder, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a large paper bag. Shake the bag to mix well.
- Dip chicken pieces, one at a time, into the buttermilk mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture by shaking the bag. Place the chicken on the prepared rack. Brush oil lightly over the chicken. Bake until browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 35 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast sesame seeds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 280 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 113 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 389 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (56%% daily value).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994