Oven-Barbecued Pork Chops
Need a little summertime flavor? Try this swift recipe and enjoy a “barbecue” indoors. Make it a meal: Serve with coleslaw and cornbread.
- 1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds bone-in, 3/4-inch-thick pork rib chops, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add the pork chops and cook until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add orange juice and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in barbecue sauce. Return the pork chops to the pan, turning several times to coat with the sauce.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the pork chops are barely pink in the middle and an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F, 6 to 10 minutes. Serve the sauce over the pork chops.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Check the sodium content of your favorite barbecue sauce if you have sodium sensitivity—some can be quite high. This recipe was developed with Annie's Natural Hot Chipotle BBQ Sauce, which has only 240 mg sodium per 2-tablespoon serving.
Per serving: 245 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 1 g fiber; 190 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat