Oven-Barbecued Pork Chops
Need a little summertime flavor? Try this swift recipe and enjoy a “barbecue” indoors. Make it a meal: Serve with coleslaw and cornbread.
- 1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds bone-in, 3/4-inch-thick pork rib chops, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, (see Tip)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add the pork chops and cook until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add orange juice and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in barbecue sauce. Return the pork chops to the pan, turning several times to coat with the sauce.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the pork chops are barely pink in the middle and an instant-read thermometer registers 145°F, 6 to 10 minutes. Serve the sauce over the pork chops.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Check the sodium content of your favorite barbecue sauce if you have sodium sensitivity—some can be quite high. This recipe was developed with Annie's Natural Hot Chipotle BBQ Sauce, which has only 240 mg sodium per 2-tablespoon serving.
Per serving: 245 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 1 g fiber; 190 mg sodium; 349 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (57% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat