I used sweet vidalia onions and jerk seasoning in the dry mix and egg whites. I probably should have used whole egg to make the coating thicker but it was okay. Next time, I'll try different spices but it's a keeper, just needs some tweaking.
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
We couldn’t get enough of these crunchy onion rings in the EatingWell Test Kitchen. Try any seasoning blend that you have on hand to add flavor to the breading or substitute 1 teaspoon salt instead. Seasoned whole-wheat breadcrumbs are available in some supermarkets and natural-foods stores. If you can find them, try them in place of the plain breadcrumbs and seasoning blend.
27 Reviews for Onion Rings
I loved it!! the rings were even better than in a restaurant!!
These onion rings blow any restaurant's out of the water. They turned out crunchy and delicious. I opted to use egg whites/ egg beaters instead of the eggs because of its convenience. I also made my own breadcrumbs by toasting slices in the toaster and pulsing them in the food processor once cooled. I doubled the amount of the breadcrumb mixture because I found there wasn't enough to completely cover each ring. With these changes, it is sure to be a success.
I made some slight modifications to start using 2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk, adding the seasoning to the flour and using salt-free seasoning. They were nice and crisp and the rings themselves were tender and sweet. I think maybe adding Tabasco sauce to the egg/milk mixture and seasoning to both the flour and bread crumbs should help.
horrible waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to salty disgusting don't ever try to eat these
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)