From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
These luxurious macaroons studded with pistachios and dried cranberries hail from food stylist Katie Webster. She made them three years ago when she was a personal chef for a gluten-intolerant client, then began selling them to a grateful crowd at her local farmers' market. Although you can concoct them with either sweetened or unsweetened coconut, we find that the unsweetened packs a more coconutty wallop. For a variation, substitute chopped crystallized ginger and mini chocolate chips for the pistachios and cranberries.
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- 2 cups coconut flakes, preferably unsweetened
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped shelled pistachios
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped shelled pistachios
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Whisk condensed milk and almond extract in a large bowl until combined. Pulse almonds in a food processor (about 10 quick pulses) until broken unto small pieces. Stir the almonds, coconut, 1/2 cup cranberries and 1/2 cup pistachios into the condensed milk mixture.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. Fold 1/2 cup of the egg whites into the coconut mixture. Add the remaining egg whites, gently folding into the mixture until just combined. Drop 1 teaspoon of dough onto a prepared baking sheet and top with another teaspoon of dough, making a double-tall macaroon. Repeat with the remaining batter, spacing the macaroons 1 inch apart.
- Bake the macaroons, switching the pans back to front and top to bottom halfway through, until the coconut is lightly golden, 18 to 22 minutes (sweetened coconut will brown faster than unsweetened). Let cool on the pans on a wire rack until cool to the touch, 30 minutes.
- Optional garnish: Place 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in the microwave on Medium in 30-second bursts, stirring after each burst to ensure even melting, until completely melted. (Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly.) Stir the remaining 1/4 cup chips into the melted chocolate until smooth. Drizzle or spoon the melted chocolate over the top of each cooled macaroon; sprinkle with cranberries and pistachios. Let the chocolate dry completely before storing or packing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: These macaroons are best eaten fresh, but will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature.
Per cookie (with garnish): 85 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 21 mg sodium; 81 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Nutrition Note: Per cookie (without garnish): 69 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 21 mg sodium.
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006