Traditional cream puff recipes use 1/2 cup butter and 4 to 5 whole eggs. We've reduced the fat to 2 tablespoons and cut out 3 egg yolks. Filled with Light Custard and fresh berries, these add an elegant flourish to a special dinner.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- Set rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat them with cooking spray.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add flour all at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. This will slightly dry the paste. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with an electric mixer until it is absorbed. Repeat with three more additions of the egg mixture, until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Note: The unbaked cream puff paste will be much less firm than that of a traditional cream puff.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture, 2 inches apart, on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until puffed and well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. (Cover unbaked cream puffs with plastic wrap.) Poke each puff in two places with the tip of a paring knife to allow steam to escape, and cool on a rack.
- To serve, cut each cream puff in half with a serrated knife, removing any excess uncooked dough from the center. Fill as desired and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 60 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation