Traditional cream puff recipes use 1/2 cup butter and 4 to 5 whole eggs. We've reduced the fat to 2 tablespoons and cut out 3 egg yolks. Filled with Light Custard and fresh berries, these add an elegant flourish to a special dinner.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- Set rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat them with cooking spray.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add flour all at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. This will slightly dry the paste. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with an electric mixer until it is absorbed. Repeat with three more additions of the egg mixture, until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Note: The unbaked cream puff paste will be much less firm than that of a traditional cream puff.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture, 2 inches apart, on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until puffed and well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. (Cover unbaked cream puffs with plastic wrap.) Poke each puff in two places with the tip of a paring knife to allow steam to escape, and cool on a rack.
- To serve, cut each cream puff in half with a serrated knife, removing any excess uncooked dough from the center. Fill as desired and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 60 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique