Traditional cream puff recipes use 1/2 cup butter and 4 to 5 whole eggs. We've reduced the fat to 2 tablespoons and cut out 3 egg yolks. Filled with Light Custard and fresh berries, these add an elegant flourish to a special dinner.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- Set rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat them with cooking spray.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add flour all at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. This will slightly dry the paste. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with an electric mixer until it is absorbed. Repeat with three more additions of the egg mixture, until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Note: The unbaked cream puff paste will be much less firm than that of a traditional cream puff.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture, 2 inches apart, on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until puffed and well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. (Cover unbaked cream puffs with plastic wrap.) Poke each puff in two places with the tip of a paring knife to allow steam to escape, and cool on a rack.
- To serve, cut each cream puff in half with a serrated knife, removing any excess uncooked dough from the center. Fill as desired and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 60 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation