Traditional cream puff recipes use 1/2 cup butter and 4 to 5 whole eggs. We've reduced the fat to 2 tablespoons and cut out 3 egg yolks. Filled with Light Custard and fresh berries, these add an elegant flourish to a special dinner.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 5 large egg whites
- Set rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat them with cooking spray.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat and add flour all at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. This will slightly dry the paste. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with an electric mixer until it is absorbed. Repeat with three more additions of the egg mixture, until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Note: The unbaked cream puff paste will be much less firm than that of a traditional cream puff.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the mixture, 2 inches apart, on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until puffed and well browned, 25 to 30 minutes. (Cover unbaked cream puffs with plastic wrap.) Poke each puff in two places with the tip of a paring knife to allow steam to escape, and cool on a rack.
- To serve, cut each cream puff in half with a serrated knife, removing any excess uncooked dough from the center. Fill as desired and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Per serving: 60 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 0 g fiber; 63 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique