Orzo with Lamb, Olives & Feta for Two
Sure, orzo is good in soup, but there's no need to stop there. Here it's a base for a bold blend of spices, tomato sauce and flavorful ground lamb. The optional pinch of crushed red pepper will add the heat that many crave.
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 4 ounces lean ground lamb, or ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary, or oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon pitted, chopped black olives
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef or turkey) in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl. Clean and dry the pan.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, rosemary (or oregano) and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the lamb (or beef or turkey) and tomato sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in olives, salt and pepper. Toss the orzo with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta.
Per serving: 452 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 699 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium & Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation