Orzo with Lamb, Olives & Feta for Two
Sure, orzo is good in soup, but there's no need to stop there. Here it's a base for a bold blend of spices, tomato sauce and flavorful ground lamb. The optional pinch of crushed red pepper will add the heat that many crave.
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 4 ounces lean ground lamb, or ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary, or oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon pitted, chopped black olives
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef or turkey) in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl. Clean and dry the pan.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, rosemary (or oregano) and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the lamb (or beef or turkey) and tomato sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in olives, salt and pepper. Toss the orzo with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta.
Per serving: 452 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 699 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium & Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique