Orzo with Lamb, Olives & Feta for Two
Sure, orzo is good in soup, but there's no need to stop there. Here it's a base for a bold blend of spices, tomato sauce and flavorful ground lamb. The optional pinch of crushed red pepper will add the heat that many crave.
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 4 ounces lean ground lamb, or ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary, or oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon pitted, chopped black olives
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef or turkey) in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl. Clean and dry the pan.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, rosemary (or oregano) and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the lamb (or beef or turkey) and tomato sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in olives, salt and pepper. Toss the orzo with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta.
Per serving: 452 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 699 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium & Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique