Orzo with Lamb, Olives & Feta for Two
Sure, orzo is good in soup, but there's no need to stop there. Here it's a base for a bold blend of spices, tomato sauce and flavorful ground lamb. The optional pinch of crushed red pepper will add the heat that many crave.
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 4 ounces lean ground lamb, or ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary, or oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper, (optional)
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon pitted, chopped black olives
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cook lamb (or beef or turkey) in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl. Clean and dry the pan.
- Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, rosemary (or oregano) and crushed red pepper (if using); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the lamb (or beef or turkey) and tomato sauce; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in olives, salt and pepper. Toss the orzo with the sauce. Serve garnished with feta.
Per serving: 452 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 7 g mono); 46 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 4 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 699 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium & Zinc (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique