Orzo & Toasted Barley
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta. To add a little color and texture, the barley is lightly toasted beforehand.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add barley and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and toasted, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and thyme. Stir once, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid. Stir in chives (or scallion greens) and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 235 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993