Orzo & Toasted Barley
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta. To add a little color and texture, the barley is lightly toasted beforehand.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add barley and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and toasted, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and thyme. Stir once, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid. Stir in chives (or scallion greens) and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 235 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993