Orzo & Toasted Barley
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta. To add a little color and texture, the barley is lightly toasted beforehand.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add barley and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and toasted, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and thyme. Stir once, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid. Stir in chives (or scallion greens) and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 235 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993