Orzo & Toasted Barley
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta. To add a little color and texture, the barley is lightly toasted beforehand.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add barley and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and toasted, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and thyme. Stir once, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid. Stir in chives (or scallion greens) and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 235 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1993