Orzo & Toasted Barley
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta. To add a little color and texture, the barley is lightly toasted beforehand.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add barley and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and toasted, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Add orzo and thyme. Stir once, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes to absorb any remaining liquid. Stir in chives (or scallion greens) and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 235 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 141 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 3 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1993