Orzo Salad with Chickpeas & Artichoke Hearts
Quintessential Greek flavors—feta, lemon and dill—combine perfectly in this hearty salad. To complete the Mediterranean mood, try pairing it with a Greek Retsina or a Portuguese Vinho Verde.
- 1/2 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, artichokes, chickpeas, feta, dill and mint; toss gently to combine. Add tomatoes and toss again.
- Divide spinach between 2 plates and top with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the saladâ"without the tomatoes and spinachâ"cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving and serve over the spinach.
Per serving: 431 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 74 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 527 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less