Orzo Salad with Chickpeas & Artichoke Hearts
Quintessential Greek flavors—feta, lemon and dill—combine perfectly in this hearty salad. To complete the Mediterranean mood, try pairing it with a Greek Retsina or a Portuguese Vinho Verde.
- 1/2 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, artichokes, chickpeas, feta, dill and mint; toss gently to combine. Add tomatoes and toss again.
- Divide spinach between 2 plates and top with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the saladâ"without the tomatoes and spinachâ"cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving and serve over the spinach.
Per serving: 431 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 74 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 527 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less