Orzo Salad with Chickpeas & Artichoke Hearts
Quintessential Greek flavors—feta, lemon and dill—combine perfectly in this hearty salad. To complete the Mediterranean mood, try pairing it with a Greek Retsina or a Portuguese Vinho Verde.
- 1/2 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, artichokes, chickpeas, feta, dill and mint; toss gently to combine. Add tomatoes and toss again.
- Divide spinach between 2 plates and top with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the saladâ"without the tomatoes and spinachâ"cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving and serve over the spinach.
Per serving: 431 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 74 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 527 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less