Orzo Salad with Chickpeas & Artichoke Hearts
Quintessential Greek flavors—feta, lemon and dill—combine perfectly in this hearty salad. To complete the Mediterranean mood, try pairing it with a Greek Retsina or a Portuguese Vinho Verde.
- 1/2 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, artichokes, chickpeas, feta, dill and mint; toss gently to combine. Add tomatoes and toss again.
- Divide spinach between 2 plates and top with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the saladâ"without the tomatoes and spinachâ"cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving and serve over the spinach.
Per serving: 431 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 74 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 527 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less