Orzo Salad with Chickpeas & Artichoke Hearts
Quintessential Greek flavors—feta, lemon and dill—combine perfectly in this hearty salad. To complete the Mediterranean mood, try pairing it with a Greek Retsina or a Portuguese Vinho Verde.
- 1/2 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, artichokes, chickpeas, feta, dill and mint; toss gently to combine. Add tomatoes and toss again.
- Divide spinach between 2 plates and top with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the saladâ"without the tomatoes and spinachâ"cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving and serve over the spinach.
Per serving: 431 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 74 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 9 g fiber; 705 mg sodium; 527 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Vitamin A (40% dv), Iron (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less