Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe & Chickpeas
The assertive flavors of broccoli rabe and rosemary are paired with sturdy chickpeas in this satisfying pasta dish. When buying broccoli rabe, check to make sure the bottoms of the stems are relatively tight, green and moist. If the broccoli rabe at your store is past its prime—or if you prefer a milder taste—use broccolini or regular broccoli instead. Garnish with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat orecchiette, or chiocciole (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup vegetarian chicken-flavored broth, (see Note)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary, or 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 1 8-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 6 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli rabe are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Drain. Rinse and dry the pot.
- Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Heat oil in the pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in the broth mixture. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until it thickens. Add chickpeas, vinegar, salt, pepper and the pasta mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through and coated with the sauce, about 2 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chicken-flavored broth, a vegetarian broth despite its name, is preferable to vegetable broth in some recipes for its hearty, rich flavor. Sometimes called “No-Chicken Broth,” it can be found with the soups in the natural-foods section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 413 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 74 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 14 g fiber; 655 mg sodium; 448 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (240% daily value), Vitamin A (210% dv), Iron (25% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Valentine's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique