Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Lots of chopped broccoli rabe, fresh garlic, olive oil and a touch of crushed red pepper is a simple sauce for orecchiette.
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat orecchiette, or other small sturdy pasta
- Trim broccoli rabe, removing any stems thicker than a pencil. You should have about 1 1/2 pounds.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe, in two batches if necessary, just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Reserve the water to cook the pasta.) Transfer the broccoli rabe with tongs to a sieve and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well, then coarsely chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Add coarsely and cook about 30 seconds. Add the chopped broccoli rabe, season with salt and toss to coat with the seasonings. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- Cook orecchiette in the same water used to blanch the broccoli rabe until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a warm bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat. Add the broccoli rabe mixture and toss again. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 363 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (232% daily value), Vitamin A (196% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995