Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Lots of chopped broccoli rabe, fresh garlic, olive oil and a touch of crushed red pepper is a simple sauce for orecchiette.
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat orecchiette, or other small sturdy pasta
- Trim broccoli rabe, removing any stems thicker than a pencil. You should have about 1 1/2 pounds.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe, in two batches if necessary, just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Reserve the water to cook the pasta.) Transfer the broccoli rabe with tongs to a sieve and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well, then coarsely chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Add coarsely and cook about 30 seconds. Add the chopped broccoli rabe, season with salt and toss to coat with the seasonings. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- Cook orecchiette in the same water used to blanch the broccoli rabe until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a warm bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat. Add the broccoli rabe mixture and toss again. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 363 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (232% daily value), Vitamin A (196% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995