Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Lots of chopped broccoli rabe, fresh garlic, olive oil and a touch of crushed red pepper is a simple sauce for orecchiette.
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat orecchiette, or other small sturdy pasta
- Trim broccoli rabe, removing any stems thicker than a pencil. You should have about 1 1/2 pounds.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe, in two batches if necessary, just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Reserve the water to cook the pasta.) Transfer the broccoli rabe with tongs to a sieve and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well, then coarsely chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Add coarsely and cook about 30 seconds. Add the chopped broccoli rabe, season with salt and toss to coat with the seasonings. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- Cook orecchiette in the same water used to blanch the broccoli rabe until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a warm bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat. Add the broccoli rabe mixture and toss again. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 363 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (232% daily value), Vitamin A (196% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1995