Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Lots of chopped broccoli rabe, fresh garlic, olive oil and a touch of crushed red pepper is a simple sauce for orecchiette.
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat orecchiette, or other small sturdy pasta
- Trim broccoli rabe, removing any stems thicker than a pencil. You should have about 1 1/2 pounds.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the broccoli rabe, in two batches if necessary, just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. (Reserve the water to cook the pasta.) Transfer the broccoli rabe with tongs to a sieve and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well, then coarsely chop.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Add coarsely and cook about 30 seconds. Add the chopped broccoli rabe, season with salt and toss to coat with the seasonings. Cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- Cook orecchiette in the same water used to blanch the broccoli rabe until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain. Transfer to a warm bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and toss to coat. Add the broccoli rabe mixture and toss again. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 363 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 7 g fiber; 113 mg sodium; 10 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (232% daily value), Vitamin A (196% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995