Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this classic Italian pasta recipe, anchovies are mashed into olive oil to add amazing depth to the garlicky sauce. If broccoli rabe is too bitter, you can use broccolini or broccoli in its place.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe (about 2 bunches)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in salt, add pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash broccoli rabe and trim off tough ends. Chop into 2-inch lengths. Leave some of the water clinging to the leaves and stems; this will help create a sauce.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it starts to shimmer. Add garlic, crushed red pepper and anchovies, mashing the fillets until they dissolve. Add the broccoli rabe (you may have to do this in batches, stirring each batch a little until it wilts enough to add more). Cook, stirring, until almost tender, 6 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and toss until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta and toss to coat. If it’s too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta water. Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan if desired.
Per serving: 359 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 388 mg sodium; 484 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (89% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Folate (59% dv), Iron (29% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014