Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
In this classic Italian pasta recipe, anchovies are mashed into olive oil to add amazing depth to the garlicky sauce. If broccoli rabe is too bitter, you can use broccolini or broccoli in its place.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 2 pounds broccoli rabe (about 2 bunches)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in salt, add pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly wash broccoli rabe and trim off tough ends. Chop into 2-inch lengths. Leave some of the water clinging to the leaves and stems; this will help create a sauce.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it starts to shimmer. Add garlic, crushed red pepper and anchovies, mashing the fillets until they dissolve. Add the broccoli rabe (you may have to do this in batches, stirring each batch a little until it wilts enough to add more). Cook, stirring, until almost tender, 6 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and toss until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the pasta and toss to coat. If it’s too dry, add a little of the reserved pasta water. Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan if desired.
Per serving: 359 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 15 g protein; 7 g fiber; 388 mg sodium; 484 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (89% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Folate (59% dv), Iron (29% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014