Orecchiette alla Carrettiera (“Wagon-Driver Style”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
Orecchiette is a traditional ear-shaped pasta. This raw sauce is perfect for hot summer nights.
- 6-8 ounces orecchiette, or spaghetti
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 very ripe plum tomatoes, (12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook orecchiette (or spaghetti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Rub the pasta-serving bowl with one half of a garlic clove.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and remaining garlic on a cutting board. Transfer to the serving bowl. Add salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Toss well.
- Drain pasta and add to tomatoes. Toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 427 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 13 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 624 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (89% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (36% dv), Vitamin C(34% dv), Iron (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)