Orecchiette alla Carrettiera (“Wagon-Driver Style”)
From EatingWell: October 1997
Orecchiette is a traditional ear-shaped pasta. This raw sauce is perfect for hot summer nights.
- 6-8 ounces orecchiette, or spaghetti
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 very ripe plum tomatoes, (12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook orecchiette (or spaghetti) in boiling salted water until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Rub the pasta-serving bowl with one half of a garlic clove.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and remaining garlic on a cutting board. Transfer to the serving bowl. Add salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Toss well.
- Drain pasta and add to tomatoes. Toss well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 427 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 13 g fiber; 597 mg sodium; 624 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (89% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Magnesium (36% dv), Vitamin C(34% dv), Iron (21% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Zinc (16% dv),
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- October 1997